The customer is the most important person in the world, right? If there were two people left in the world and one has to die, you or the customer, who would it be?
Now, we’re agreed you are the most important person in the world.
The problem is that the customer thinks they are and that’s why you have to treat them that way if your business is to be successful.
Would you believe that if your customers are satisfied, you’re in trouble? That’s right, you read it correctly…
Let’s say you have a 95% customer satisfaction rating. Sounds great, but what it means is that you have 5% going round telling everyone how awful you are. The other 95% felt ok about you so they may shop with you but they could shop anywhere – they don’t have any special loyalty to you.
What’s more, a dissatisfied customer is 20 times more likely to tell someone. So if 95% of your customers are happy, you’ll have more negative than positive message out in the market place.
It’s loyalty you should be after, not just satisfaction. For example, the typical customer satisfaction question may ask “did you enjoy your stay?” or “were we friendly?” The only answers these give are ones of satisfaction, not designed to find out if the customer felt great and had a memorable experience that creates loyalty. You must use questions designed to find out how loyal your customers are.
Here are typical examples of how most businesses treat their customers and why their customers will never be anything more than just satisfied…
“We’ve done all we can…”
“You’ll have to…”
“That’s not my job…”
“The person who deals with that is on holiday”
“Our policy says…”
“We’re out of stock, I don’t know when we’ll have some more”
“What seems to be the problem”
“Let me transfer you”
“I’ll have to check if that’s OK”
“Sorry, that offer ended yesterday”
“Why didn’t you…”
An insincere “Sorry about that”
“You don’t have to be rude about it”
“I’m just doing my job”
And aren’t those computerised phone systems great for customer service, not!
The list is endless. So many people seem to act like they’re doing the customer a favour.
The best rule to follow is…
If you wouldn’t like it done to you, don’t do it to someone else.